At Coburg High School, we offer and emphasise the importance of an enriching, challenging and well-rounded education for all our students. We offer an extensive range of co-curricular activities, initiatives and programs to complement and build on our core curriculum. For a sample of some of the amazing opportunities open to students at Coburg High School, a copy of our Extension & Enrichment Handbook is attached here:
Contemporary Music Program
Our music program is outstanding with high performing, expert, friendly and helpful teachers. We have school show choirs, jazz ensembles, guitar ensembles, rock orchestra, a range of bands and regular concerts and performances both at school and at venues beyond school. We have a contemporary music program and emphasise students not only learning to play musical instruments but also developing their skills in composing and recording their own music.
There is a high level of engagement in our amazing instrumental music program so it is imperative that new students to the school and their families contact our Instrumental Music Coordinator early on if they wish to join the highly sought after instrumental music classes.
In addition, we have a range of opportunities for students to develop their skills in composition, media, audio-visual and music production through our recording studio, broadcast studio and media suite. There are also regular open mic opportunities at lunchtimes and opportunities for students to showcase their talents in our high quality indoor performance space as well as the outside performance deck and amphitheatre.
Instrumental Music Tuition
- Individual and small group lessons
- Piano and Keyboard
- Ensembles (Choir, Jazz Band, Rock Orchestra, Guitar Ensemble, Junior Band)
It is expected that all instrumental music students join at least one of the ensembles to develop, extend and refine their performance skills.
At Coburg High School, we have an amazing performing arts program with annual musical productions and a strong history of students performing in shows like Wakakirri and in the State School Spectacular as dancers, singers and puppeteers. We have a high-calibre and dynamic team of experienced dance and drama teachers and production directors.
Our performing arts space, which is used for dance and drama as well as year level assemblies and concerts, has a fully sprung wood flooring, large mirrors, an AV control box for sound, lighting and projection which overlooks the space, and retractable seating for over 150 audience members.
We have a wide and dynamic range of clubs created by students and staff, and welcome to all.
Some of our CHS Clubs for 2023:
- Art Extension
- Bike Club
- Breakfast Club
- Chess Club
- Games Club
- Homework Club
- Languages Lounge
- Music Ensembles – choir, jazz band and more
- Philosophy Club
- RnB Singing Club
- Robotics Club
- Stand Out
- Student Voice
- Uniquity Club
- Warhammer Club
- Wellbeing Clubs like Permission to Pause & Slaying Friendships
- Zine Club
Extension and enrichment programs and opportunities
We pride ourselves on cultivating student talents through wide range of enrichment and extension programs such as:
- House program: an extensive program of activities and competitions between our four colour Houses;
- Leadership opportunities: student voice representatives, school captains, house captains, class captains, and a range of opportunities for student leadership in running events and leading aspects of the school program;
- Volunteering and community service programs including active partnerships with Merri-Bek City Council, MoreArts, Moreland Leisure Centre, Oxygen Youth Space;
- Debating and public speaking;
- Youth Model United Nations (we have been the host school in 2018, 2019 & 2022);
- Art exhibitions and showcases of learning;
- Fun runs and colour runs;
- Environmental leadership team: Recycling, aquaponic greenhouse and a vegetable garden.
- We proudly celebrate a range of special days: NAIDOC Week, Ride2School day, Harmony Day, Spanish Fiesta, Chinese Lunar New Year, Anti-Bullying Day; Week Without Violence, Ramadan Iftar, IDAHOBIT, and Wear It Purple Day.
Camps and overseas tours
- Year 7 adventure camp
- Year 9 tour of Tasmania
- Year 11 into 12 transition camp
- World Challenge expedition to Costa Rica
- Outdoor education camps
- Marine biology camps
- Great Victorian Bike Ride
- Snow camps
- Alpine School of Student Leadership program
- Sister school (Maurick College) in Holland: exchange program in performing arts and music
- Sister school (IES La Medraza) in Granada, Spain.
Established in 2021 the CHS Basketball Academy is an elite program designed to inspire and motivate students to achieve even more in the classroom through sport. Entry to the program is via tryouts. The Academy is led by Mike Torres as Head of Basketball and Michael Fortune as Head Coach. Both come to us with many years of experience as both coaches and players here and in the United States.
We compete in a variety of sports as part of the School Sports Victoria Interschool Sports program.
Our current schedule:
Term 1 – volleyball, tennis, cricket, softball/baseball
Term 2 – netball, soccer, AFL, badminton
Term 3 – basketball, futsal, table tennis, hockey
Students also have the opportunity at our Swimming and Athletics Carnivals to qualify for Divisional competition.
For our current students and families- please check Compass regularly for further details and opportunities.