At Coburg High School, we emphasise and provide a well-rounded education for students. We offer an extensive range of co-curricular activities and programs.
Contemporary Music Program
Our music program is outstanding with expert, friendly and helpful teachers. We have school show choirs, jazz ensembles, guitar ensemble, a rock orchestra, and regular concerts and performances both at school and at venues beyond school. We have a contemporary music program and emphasise students not only learning to play musical instruments but also developing their skills in composing and recording their own music.
There are open mic opportunities at lunchtimes and opportunities for students to showcase their talents in our high quality indoor performance space as well as the outside performance deck and amphitheatre.
In addition, we have a range of opportunities for students to develop their skills in composition, media, audio-visual and music production through our recording studio, broadcast studio and media suite.
Instrumental Music Tuition
- Individual and small group lessons
- Piano and Keyboard
- Ensembles (Choir, Jazz Band, Rock Orchestra, Guitar Ensemble, Junior Band)
At Coburg High School, we have an amazing performing arts program with annual musical productions and a large number of students performing in Wakakirri and in the State School Spectacular as dancers, singers and puppeteers. Our performing arts space, which is used for dance and drama as well as year level assemblies and concerts, is considered by many to be one of the finest performing arts spaces in the northern region of Melbourne. In the arts space, we have fully sprung wood flooring, large mirrors, an AV control box for sound, lighting and projection which overlooks the space, and retractable seating for over 150 audience members.
Extra-curricular programs and opportunities
We cultivate student talents through:
- Student clubs: Science club, Standout group, Cycling club, Games club, Chess club etc;
- House program: an extensive program of activities and competitions between our four colour Houses;
- Leadership opportunities: Student Representative Council (SRC); school captains, house captains, class captains, student ambassadors, and a range of opportunities for student leadership in running events and taking responsibility for aspects of the school program;
- Volunteering and community service programs;
- Ongoing partnership with Melbourne City Ballet;
- Active partnerships with Moreland City Council, MoreArts, Moreland Leisure Centre, Oxygen Youth Space;
- Debating and public speaking;
- Youth United Nations (host school in 2018);
- Art exhibitions and showcases of learning;
- Fun runs and colour runs;
- Environmental leadership team: Recycling, aquaponic greenhouse, vegetable garden, chooks and a mini pig;
- We proudly celebrate a range of special days: Ride2School day, Harmony Day, Spanish Fiesta, Anti-Bullying Day; IDAHOBIT.
Camps and overseas tours
- Year 7 camp (Kinglake adventure camp)
- Year 8 surf camp
- Year 9 tour of Tasmania
- World Challenge expedition to Costa Rica & Nicaragua
- Outdoor education camp
- Marine biology camp
- Great Victorian Bike Ride
- Snow camp
- Alpine School of Student Leadership
- Sister school (Maurick College) in Holland: annual exchange program in performing arts and music
- In 2019 we will also commence a sister-school relationship with an eminent school in Granada, Spain.