At Coburg High School, we offer and emphasise the importance of an enriching, challenging and well-rounded education for all our students. We offer an extensive range of co-curricular activities, initiatives and programs to complement and build on our core curriculum. For a sample of some of the amazing opportunities open to students at Coburg High School, a copy of our Extension & Enrichment Handbook is attached here:
Contemporary Music Program
Our music program is outstanding with high performing, expert, friendly and helpful teachers. We have school show choirs, jazz ensembles, guitar ensembles, rock orchestra, a range of bands and regular concerts and performances both at school and at venues beyond school. We have a contemporary music program and emphasise students not only learning to play musical instruments but also developing their skills in composing and recording their own music.
There is a high level of engagement in our amazing instrumental music program so it is imperative that new students to the school and their families contact our Instrumental Music Coordinator early on if they wish to join the highly sought after instrumental music classes.
In addition, we have a range of opportunities for students to develop their skills in composition, media, audio-visual and music production through our recording studio, broadcast studio and media suite. There are also regular open mic opportunities at lunchtimes and opportunities for students to showcase their talents in our high quality indoor performance space as well as the outside performance deck and amphitheatre.
Instrumental Music Tuition
- Individual and small group lessons
- Piano and Keyboard
- Ensembles (Choir, Jazz Band, Rock Orchestra, Guitar Ensemble, Junior Band)
It is expected that all instrumental music students join at least one of the ensembles to develop, extend and refine their performance skills.
At Coburg High School, we have an amazing performing arts program with annual musical productions and a large number of students performing in Wakakirri and in the State School Spectacular as dancers, singers and puppeteers. We have a high-calibre and dynamic team of experienced dance and drama teachers and production directors.
Our performing arts space, which is used for dance and drama as well as year level assemblies and concerts, is considered by many to be one of the finest performing arts spaces in the northern region of Melbourne. In the arts space, we have fully sprung wood flooring, large mirrors, an AV control box for sound, lighting and projection which overlooks the space, and retractable seating for over 150 audience members.
Extension and enrichment programs and opportunities
We pride ourselves on cultivating student talents through wide range of enrichment and extension programs such as:
- Student clubs: Science club, Writers club, Standout group, Cycling club, Games club, Chess club and more;
- House program: an extensive program of activities and competitions between our four colour Houses;
- Leadership opportunities: Student Representative Council (SRC); school captains, house captains, class captains, student ambassadors, and a range of opportunities for student leadership in running events and leading aspects of the school program;
- Volunteering and community service programs including active partnerships with Moreland City Council, MoreArts, Moreland Leisure Centre, Oxygen Youth Space;
- Debating and public speaking;
- Youth United Nations (we have been the host school in 2018 and 2019);
- Art exhibitions and showcases of learning;
- Fun runs and colour runs;
- Environmental leadership team: Recycling, aquaponic greenhouse, vegetable garden, chooks and our mini pig;
- We proudly celebrate a range of special days: NAIDOC Week, Ride2School day, Harmony Day, Spanish Fiesta, Anti-Bullying Day; Week Without Violence, Ramadan Iftar, IDAHOBIT, and Wear It Purple Day.
Camps and overseas tours
- Year 7 adventure camp
- Year 8 surf camp
- Year 9 tour of Tasmania
- Year 11 into 12 transition camp
- World Challenge expedition to Costa Rica
- Outdoor education camps
- Marine biology camps
- Great Victorian Bike Ride
- Snow camps
- Alpine School of Student Leadership program
- Sister school (Maurick College) in Holland: exchange program in performing arts and music
- Sister school (IES La Medraza) in Granada, Spain.